Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up Review


         This week I am giving Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up a try for the first time. Root Touch-Up markets itself as having the ability to seamlessly blend with leading shades, even Salon color. Personally, I dye my hair at home about every 3 three weeks using Clairol's Natural Instincts Shade 4 - Dark Brown Nutmeg which is semi-permanent. I naturally have dark brown-black with about 50% gray, highly concentrated around my temples top of head. For the root touch up I am using Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up in Shade 4 - Dark Brown. It has been about 4 weeks since my last dye job so I am overdue (I knew I was being sent this box of dye from BzzAgent so I was waiting to receive it, it came about a week later than I was expecting).



The dye has 2 components; a tube of colorant and a bottle of activator. You mix them both together in a small plastic container that comes in the box. The applicator handle has an interesting shape, the instructions say it is "easy to use" and to turn in your hand during application but I didn't notice anything special about the handle. What I did notice is how well the short bristles applied the dye to the root area.



The formula mixes easily and well, it is thick and the color looks evenly distributed. The dye did not drip off the applicator brush during application or down my face while setting. The instructions tell you to part your hair in your normal style and apply where you part and at the hairline. There was plenty of dye so in addition to those areas I parted my hair about every inch and brushed dye through the parted roots.

The dye only takes 10 minutes to set and it rinsed out really well in one rinse. It usually takes me a few rinses to feel like I got all of the dye out. There was no included conditioner with the dye which I thought was unusual but it wasn't necessary; my hair did not feel dry afterwards. I waited to look at the color coverage until the next day and a second rinse. The Clairol Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up did a pretty good job. The majority of my silvery gray roots were gone and the color did blend well in to my shade. My only real complaint is that this shade on my roots looks a little lighter than the rest of my hair, probably due to how much gray I have. If I were to use this product again I would probably opt to try the Shade 3 - Black, that way the dye may appear dark brown on my silvery gray.



How the Rating Works
  • Effectiveness is 2/3 of the Total Rating 
  • Packaging is 1/6 of the Total Rating
  • Physical Qualities is 1/6 of the Total Rating

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up Individual Ratings (0 - 5)
  • Effectiveness = 4
    • This dye worked well at dying my roots, 1 points. It covered the majority of my grays, 2 points because they are  surprisingly VERY resistant to dye. The shade blended well in to my existing color at the area they meet, 1 point. The dye will not fade quickly or wash out because it is permanent, 1 point. The shade ended up looking lighter at my actual roots than the rest of my color, minus 1 point.
  • Packaging = 2
    • The dye comes in a recyclable box, 1 point. Instructions are clear and easy to follow, 1 point. Mixing tray is small and recyclable, 1 point. Attractiveness of packaging nets no negative or positive points. The packaging is the same size as any other box of dye but contains about 1/5 as much dye, minus 1 point.
  • Physical Qualities = 4
    • The dye once mixed is thick and does not drip off brush or down face, 1 point. The brush works really well at getting the dye just to your roots, 1 point. The dye does not have a strong scent, 1 point. Formula is ammonia-free, 1 point.

            Clairol Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up Total Rating = 3.5

As with all products, your mileage may vary (YMMV). The Clairol Nice 'n Easy Root Touch-Up in 4 Dark Brown worked well, but not great for my VERY dark brown hair with about 50% gray.


(Disclaimer: I received this product for free in exchange for my review of the product submitted to the manufacturer. I am opting to post my review here additionally)

Comments